Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Alisha - Modern Scrappy Bits Swap


I had another goal this month but I've already completed it (go figure)! It seems recently I've been shying away from quilting bees and have started really taking advantage of swaps. It's hard for me to know what my homework load will be like from term to term so swaps have been a great outlet for my creativity.

With that said, I joined a group on flickr aptly named Modern Scrappy Bits Swap and was assigned a partner who wanted a needle book made for them. She also posted that she enjoyed camping with her family and little woodland creatures so I got to work on some ideas. My first stop was Pinterest (duh!) where I found some marvelous ideas for needle books but I finally decided on my favorite (and what I think is the most functional).

I started digging in my stash but already had an idea for fabrics. I don't usually buy a lot of fabric with animals on it but I fell in love with a line by Riley Blake and happen to have a fat quarter bundle in addition to several "extra" fat quarters.



Aren't these fun? Once I posted on flickr I received many comments and thankfully one of them was from my partner (did I mention this was a secret swap?) so I knew I was golden. Since I'd already done research on a needle book tutorial I was set. You can find the tutorial I used here, it was super straight forward. I was surprised it took me less than an hour to put this together  I figured this would be a multiday process (I have issues sewing anything that isn't a quilt.. lol).

Anyway, without further ado I present to you a camping and furry woodland creature inspired needle book!







This last picture shows the stack of scraps that are going along with the needle book. I included some of the scraps from the needle book incase my partner wanted to add them to another project. This will go off in the mail shortly and I can't wait for her to see it! Pin It

1 comment:

  1. It's brilliant! and so handy that you had some woodland prints on hand too.

    ReplyDelete